1. Read the passage, "Designing the First Flying Machine." Support each other as a team to complete all pre-reading skills and strategies. Read the passage together and support each other through the questions. All answers must be proven or explained. All responses must be in complete sentences.
2. Read the Wonderopolis wonder, "Have you ever wondered how far a paper airplane can fly." Consider how it supports and connects with the passage that you read.
3. Watch the video of the record breaking paper airplane flight.
4. Choose and create a paper airplane...test it out!
1. Watch the introductory video about Greek Gods and Mythology. This will give you some background knowledge before you begin your project.
2. You or you and a partner will choose to create a trading card about either a Greek God, Hero, or Monster OR about a Greek Myth.
Greek God, Hero or Monster Project
1. If you choose to research a Greek God (Olympian), Hero, or Monster, then use the texts provided and internet links to learn about your subject. 2. Plan a trading card that will have the following elements: FRONT OF THE CARD
The name of your god, goddess, hero, or creature written neatly and in color
An illustration of your god, goddess, hero, or creature in color
A colorful background or border (may contain symbols that represent your character.
BACK OF THE CARD
Name of the character
Other names for the character
What are the character's extraordinary abilities, qualities, or powers?
What symbol represents this character and why?
Three or more interesting facts about the character.
Illustrate and label the symbol for your character.
1. If you choose to research a Greek Myth Project, then use the texts provided and internet links to learn about your subject. 2. Plan a trading card that will have the following elements: FRONT OF THE CARD
The name of the Greek Myth written neatly and in color
An illustration representing the Myth in color
A colorful background or border (may contain symbols that represent the characters or theme of the myth.
BACK OF THE CARD
Name of the Myth.
THEME: What part of nature is the myth trying to explain or what is the myth's moral?
Who is the protagonist and antagonist?
What is the Setting?
In a brief summary, summarize the problem and solution in the story.
Recommendation: Give the myth a thumbs up or down. Why would you or wouldn't you recommend this myth?
1. Click on the Wonderopolis picture and read the wonder of the day about the first person in space.
2. Watch the video.
3. Read the article (or listen to the article and read along).
4. Take the Wonder Word Challenge (vocab on the right).
5. If manned missions to Mars or other planets become possible one day, what planet might you want to visit? Jump online to check out Planets for Kids, a website dedicated to exploring astronomy from a kid’s perspective. Check out the information about the planets in our solar system. Which one would you most like to explore? Why?
6. Create a brochure with pictures, captions, and a brief paragraph explaining interesting features of the planet you choose. Plan it out and make it NEAT. Your paragraphs must be written in your own words. Do NOT copy from the site.
7. Create a piece of artwork that shows the planet that you would most like to explore. Look closely at pictures of your chosen planet and create it.