Greet one another with a smile and ask a peer about his/her morning. Be attentive to his/her thoughts, feelings, and/or needs. Share your feelings as well. Be polite and supportive and honest.
Idioms, Adages & Proverbs... Oh, My!
"in the limelight"
Origin: Limelight is an intense white light which is produced by heating a piece of lime in a flame of burning oxygen and hydrogen. This discovery led to lighting for 19th century theaters to illuminate the stage. Meaning: To be famous; to be the center of attention.
Adage/Proverb "Time and tide wait for no man." No one is so powerful that they can stop the events of nature or the passage of time.
1. Pioneer Project : Continue on your journey on the Oregon Trail. Support your Family!!!!
Complete all projects and post to your site!
The Westing Game
5/30: Chapters 1-3
Chapter 1: Sunset Towers 1. What was unusual about Sunset Towers? 2. Why was the delivery boy described as uncommon looking? 3. Why did Barney Northrup say that caused Jake to wonder? 4. Where was Sydelle Pulaski directing a suspicious stare? 5. How did Barney finally convince Sydelle Pulaski to take the apartment? 6. At the end of the chapter we are told that one of the tenants was a mistake. Which tenant do you think was a mistake? Why?
Chapter 2: Ghosts or Worse 1. Describe how Mr. Hoo felt about the grand opening of his restaurant. 2. Who is Sandy McSouthers? 3. What surprised Turtle Wexler about the Westing House? 4. Describe Otis Amber. 5. What does Chris notice through his binoculars?
Chapter 3: Tenants In and Out 1. Why is Angela Wexler standing on a hassock? 2. What caused Angela Wexler to utter a small cry? 3. Describe Mrs. Wexler’s relationship with her two daughters. 4. Describe J.J. Ford.
5/31: Chapters 4-6
Chapter 4:The Corpse Found 1. Why was Doug Hoo outside the Westing House? 2. Why did turtle Wexler have her mother’s silver cross in her pocket? 3. Why had Turtle taken a billiard cue upstairs? 4. Why were 16 people asked to go to the south library of the Westing House?
Chapter 5: Sixteen Heirs 1. Who was greeting the beneficiaries at the Westing Home? 2. What is Denton Deere’s diagnosis of Chris? 3. Why is Judge Ford surprised to see E.J. Plum in charge of the Westing estate? 4. What did the design of Sydelle Pulaski’s dress remind Turtle of right at that moment?
Chapter 6: The Westing Will 1. When the will is first read, why are those present shocked to hear the words, “my sixteen nieces and nephews”? 2. What is the second important piece of information that is revealed during the reading of the will? 3. What must the potential beneficiaries do if they wish to “strike it rich”?
6/1: Chapters 7-9
Chapter 7: The Westing Game 1. What is the object of the game? 2. Why was Chris happy to be selected to play the game? 3. Why does Berthe Erica Crow shriek? 4. Why was Sandy so insistent that his partner, Judge Ford, play the game?
Chapter 8: The Paired Heirs 1. What did the tenants of Sunset Towers awaken to the next morning? 2. How was Turtle Wexler able to profit from the storm? 3. What are many of the heirs doing on this particular day? 4. What does J.J. Ford hope to do at once? 5. Why is Sydelle Pulaski upset when she discovers her shorthand notebook is missing?
Chapter 9: Lost and Found 1. Why is Lost and Found a good name for this chapter? 2. What had somebody found on the third floor balcony? 3. What was happening at J.J. Ford’s apartment that evening? 4. What does Turtle predict the next part of the will would read? 5. Why does Turtle think her mother is treating her so nicely for a change? 6. What information does Judge Ford uncover that indicates James Hoo would not have liked Samuel Westing?
6/2: Chapters 10-12
Chapter 10: The Long Party 1. Why does Angela become upset when everyone continually asks about Denton? 2 . Why was Chris watching legs from his wheelchair? 3. Why does Sydelle disappointed that Angela changed out of her clothes? 4. Why does Angela rush into Judge Ford’s kitchen?
Chapter 11: The Meeting 1. What dilemma did the tenants face as they awoke on the third snowbound morning? 2. How do we know that Turtle didn’t like to do her hair? 3. What was Alice’s nickname? 4. What did Chris suddenly realize as he read the note on the elevator wall? 5. Why could no one read Sydelle Pulaski’s shorthand? 6. What confusion arises about Turtle’s real name? Can you explain the possible reason for this? 7. What question did Judge Ford write on the paper? Do you think it was a good question?
Chapter 12: The First Bomb 1. Describe the incident in the kitchen. 2. What does Turtle demand that Angela return to her immediately? 3. According to Judge Ford, who are the four people with Westing connections? 4. Why does Judge Ford’s finger suddenly stop at the top of the list of detectives in the yellow pages?
6/5: Chapters 13-15
1. What kind of timing device did the bomber use? 2. Who were the only people to order down? 3. Who is Mrs. Baumbach reminded of when she sees Angela? 4. According to Sydelle Pulaski, why is Chris’ disability an advantage? 5. What happened just as Otis Amber entered the restaurant?
1. Why did Angela search under the hood of the cars in the parking lot? 2. Why was Alexander McSouthers fired from his job at the Westing factory? 3. Why does Alexander McSouthers suffer from bad headaches? 4. Why did Grace open the window despite the cold draft?
1. Why did Doug suspect that the murderer may have been a doctor? 2. Shin Hoo told Jake Wexler that he thought he could squeeze him in at the restaurant. Explain why this statement is ironic. 3. Why is Judge Ford surprised at McSouthers’ description of Mrs. Westing? 4. Flora, Judge Ford and Sandy notice a remarkable resemblance between Angela Wexler and what other person?
6/6: Chapters 16-18
1. Does Angela do anything to suggest that she may already know the contents of the gift wrapped in gold foil? 2. Describe Angela’s injuries. 3. Why does Otis Amber think that he should not be considered a suspect in the incident? 4. Who does Sydelle think the bomber is? 5. Who do you think the bomber is? Explain your choice.
1. What indication is there that the heirs were jittery? 2. What were the two trading terms that Flora Baumbach had learned? 3. After reexamining their clues, whom do Grace and Mr. Hoo think is involved in the mystery? 4. What does Theo discover when he analyses his clue?
1. Who was Rosalie and how did she die? 2. What assignment does Theo give to Doug Hoo? 3. What letter does Otis Amber deliver to Doug? 4. How does Chris feel at the prospect of being taken hostage by Doctor Deere?
6/7: Chapters 19-21
Chapter 19: Odd Relatives 1. Who does Otis Amber accuse of being responsible for the bombings? 2. To whom is Crow referring when she uses the term "foot butcher"? 3. How does Judge Ford react when told by Sandy that Jake Wexler is a bookie? 4. According to the judge, what is Westing's first mistake?
Chapter 20: The Confessions 1. What was the price of WWP at two o’clock? 2. Why didn’t Doug’s feet hurt anymore? 3. Why was Theo in the hospital? 4. Why did George Theodorakis falter when telling the story of Violet Westing?
Chapter 21: The Fourth Bomb 1. What does Theo want to borrow from Turtle? 2. What is Judge Ford’s connection with the Westing Family? 3. Why does Judge Ford think that Sam Westing paid for her education? 4. What was on the reverse side of the bomber’s note? 5. What does Turtle confess to the judge?
6/8: Chapters 22-24
Chapter 22: Losers, Winners 1. Briefly describe the note posted in the elevator. 2. Which of the heirs does Judge Ford think may be Sam Westing’s former wife? 3. Who does Judge Ford think was actually in the coffin? 4. Why would it be difficult to recognize Sam Westing now?
Chapter 23: Strange Answers 1. What did Otis mean by the phrase, “The turtle’s lost it’s tail”? 2. What did Turtle convince Angela not to do? 3. What did the heirs receive in their envelopes? 4. Who did Denton Deere suggest could use plastic surgery?
Chapter 24: Wrong All Wrong 1. What was Denton Deere's diagnosis when Mr. Hoo claimed that the tea might be poisoned? 2. Which heir does Judge Ford believe is actually Sam Westing? 3. Do you think that Berthe Erica Crow is telling the truth? Explain your answer.